- I used to go to the beach every day.
USE 1 Habit in the Past
- Jerry used to study English.
- Sam and Mary used to go to Mexico in the summer.
- I used to start work at 9 o'clock.
- Christine used to eat meat, but now she is a vegetarian.
USE 2 Past Facts and Generalizations
- I used to live in Paris.
- Sarah used to be fat, but now she is thin.
- George used to be the best student in class, but now Lena is the best.
- Oranges used to cost very little in Florida, but now they are quite expensive.
"Used to" vs. Simple Past
- You used to play the piano.
- Did you play the piano when you were young?
- You did not play the piano when you were young.
ACTIVE / PASSIVE
- Jerry used to pay the bills. Active
- The bills used to be paid by Jerry. Passive
EXERCISES AND RELATED TOPICS
- Past Repetition Simple Past, "Used to" and "Would Always."